Ubuntu Gaming.

Dette er forummet for spil til Ubuntu. Få hjælp til spillene og få hjælp til at afvikle Windows-spillene i fx Wine.
zeus7678
IRC nickname: zeus7678

Ubuntu Gaming.

Indlægaf zeus7678 » 24. sep 2010, 14:52

Heey. I have a question about gaming in ubuntu. My pc is a: Hp pavilion dv6, with 4 Gb ram and a 2.2 Ghz prossesor . And a Ati Readon up to date graphic card.

So its more then capable of running the newest games. And it does. In windows. But in linux i can barely run a nintendo 64 emulator . It cant even run counter-strike 1.6 !

I run cs throug wine , and its slow as hell.

Btw, this gaming , and slow wine problem. Is the only thing holding me back from going 100% in on linux.

Any sugestions ?

Thx .

laoshi
Redaktør
IRC nickname: laoshi
Geografisk sted: Vejle

Re: Ubuntu Gaming.

Indlægaf laoshi » 24. sep 2010, 15:27

Welcome to our forum.
As this is a gaming question I have moved the thread to the Spil board (Spil = Game)
You might also be interested in consulting he international Ubuntu forum http://ubuntuforums.org/ for a solution.

Btw.: Please use default typography in your posts as this makes easier reading for the supporters.
"Von guten Mächten wunderbar geborgen
erwarten wir getrost was kommen mag.
Gott ist mit uns am Abend und am Morgen
Und ganz gewiss an jedem neuen Tag"

(Dietrich Bonhoeffer 1906-1945)

http://www.stromata.dk
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FlemmingChristensen
https://launchpad.net/~laoshi

AJenbo
Admin
IRC nickname: AJenbo
Geografisk sted: Vanløse, København

Indlægaf AJenbo » 24. sep 2010, 18:29

Anny program running threw wine will take a preformance hit, but some games are still playable.
First make sure that your graficcard is installed and uses the propritery ATI driver, system->administration->hardwaredrivers.

Please also tells us the exact model of ATI card you have, run this in the terminal (programs->accessories->terminal)

Kode: Vælg alt

lspci | grep VGA

Read up on running CS in with Wine:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=3507

zeus7678

Indlægaf zeus7678 » 24. sep 2010, 23:18

The driver is installed .

My Graph. Card is an "ATI mobility radeon HD 4650".

When i run cs , it doesent start. I have had some issues with wine. With other programs aswel. I dont know if its wine that Fu#¤s it up , or if its my graph. Card.

Otherwise Ubuntu is a great distro, and it has all i need in my everyday work. But if i cant game in it from time to time. Then its not for me.

I usualy play games like Counter-strike source and Lord of the rings Online. Those two games dont require the best graph.card. So i dont se the problem ..

Thx .

zob
Redaktør
Geografisk sted: København

Indlægaf zob » 24. sep 2010, 23:48

I think those games are written for another operating system. That could be the problem.

zeus7678

Indlægaf zeus7678 » 25. sep 2010, 01:19

I have seen other people run games like, Crisis and other very high graph games trough wine. So it is posible . I just dont know why i can run them in windows . And not Linux .

zob
Redaktør
Geografisk sted: København

Indlægaf zob » 25. sep 2010, 09:37

You could maybe be lucky and have a windows game run through wine, but you can certainly not expect it to run. You seem surprised. I think you should be surprised when windows programs DO run in linux - not when they don't. Wouldn't you be surprised if you suddenly made ubuntu software center or some other native linux-stuff run under windows?
But hey. Maybe someone knows a trick. I don't.

lath
IRC nickname: lars_t_h
Geografisk sted: Fyn

Indlægaf lath » 25. sep 2010, 12:01

zeus7678 skrev:I have seen other people run games like, Crisis and other very high graph games trough wine.

Ok
zeus7678 skrev:So it is posible . I just dont know why i can run them in windows . And not Linux .

Windows is not Ubuntu and ubuntu is not Windows, so Windows applications do not work in Ubutnu - the same is also true for Ubuntu application on Windows.

Feel lucky, if an windows application does work with the Windows Emulator (wine).

/Lars
Jeg er Software ingeniør (Diplomingeniør) i Informationsteknologi og indlejede systemer, hvor indlejrede systemer er computer (microcontroller) + elektronik i for eksempel et TV, en router, en vaskemaskine og den slags

AJenbo
Admin
IRC nickname: AJenbo
Geografisk sted: Vanløse, København

Indlægaf AJenbo » 26. sep 2010, 03:38

zeus7678 skrev:I have seen other people run games like, Crisis and other very high graph games trough wine.

From what i can tell they are run at minimal settings and still get poor performance.

I believe CS and WoW gets decent performance and are playable. Did you read up on CS under Wine in the link i gave you?
Try running the game from the terminal to get more error output.
cd to the counter-strike folder, and then type this command:

Kode: Vælg alt

wine hl.exe

(if you have the retail version of CS the exe is named cstrike.exe)

lath skrev:Windows Emulator (wine).

Actually it stands for Wine is not an emulator.
A lot of people seams to now know this. Wine is a compatibility layer, not an emulator.
Still it's fare from a 100% implementation of Windows, not fully optimized, and performance does take a hit, and there is no direct hardware access.

Tilbage til "Spil"